Lagos is a state in Nigeria and the most economically important state in the country. The Centre of Excellence as Lagos is popularly known can also be regarded as the Centre of Innovation and technology startups in Nigeria. It is home for all aspects of industries: from entrepreneurship, to life science, IT, media and journalism; and clearly seen in the combination of students, researchers and businesses. It has beautiful cities like Ikeja, Victoria Island, Lekki, Eko Atlantic, Ajah and so on. A city that is home to many startups like Konga, Paga, Jobberman, Payporte , Ngcareers, Dealdey, and many more.
Advantages of building a startup in Lagos
- it is the major financial center in Nigeria and would be the fifth largest economy in Africa, if it were a country
- it is home of highly educated people and filled with diverse culture and tribes from all over Nigeria
- very good infrastructure
- large number of angel investors willing to partner with the next innovative ideas through investment and mentoring.
- government financial support
Limitations to Consider for Building Startups in Lagos
- high cost of houses and getting a space for rent
- high competitive market system
Meetup, Events and Conferences
- Techplus : is a platform for knowledge sharing, networking and a market place for the African target market where new technology comes to life, new products are launched and innovation converges.
- Lagos Startup week : is a free, five-day celebration of our community that builds momentum and opportunity around entrepreneurship and SME’s. We’re led by local entrepreneurs and hosted in amazing spaces all over town
Co-working spaces in Lagos
- Capital Square : is a collaborative community for independent professionals – entrepreneurs, creatives, and innovators – who are doing great things.
- Workbay : is an office solutions provider; we offer entrepreneurs and start-ups cost-effective office space (Co-working space, private office and virtual services) with the benefits of flexible minimal set-up and exit costs.
- The Resource Space : provides women entrepreneurs, Start-ups, Burgeoning consulting and training firms virtual office plans, virtual assistance & collaborative meeting spaces.
- Work Box: is fully serviced contemporary offices in the heart of Victoria Island, Lagos. We offer different types of office space to suit your needs. Whether you’re an individual, a start-up, expanding your business or just need a base in Lagos, Work Box can assist in all your office and business needs.
Incubators and Accelerators
- CChub Nigeria :Started in 20111, it has supported the growth of a community passionate about the role of technology in transforming Nigeria. They have seen from experience that there are lots of people and organizations interested in the application of technology to solve local problems and their goal is to continue to unearth such individuals/companies and to support them to bring their ideas/products to life.
- Passion Incubator : provides innovative Start-up entrepreneurs with the most critical resources to launch lean Start-ups that can grow fast and where success can be quickly institutionalized.
- National Board of Technology Incubation : is a government ministry designed to nurture new start-ups in science and technology related businesses; and speed up the commercialization of R&D results by effectively linking talents, technology, capital and know-how in order to accelerate the development of new enterprises.
Angels and Capital Investors
- Lead Path : is a seed capital fund that specializes in providing short, medium and long-term funding to small and medium-sized start-up businesses in high growth technology areas such as software, web and mobile technologies.
- Echovc Partners : is an experienced seed & early stage technology-focused venture capital fund focused on financing and cross-pollinating leading technologies, teams and business models in Sub-Saharan Africa, North America and Southeast Asia.
Lagos is known for its financial power and with such a community of well educated and prepared workforce, the best place to build your startup in Nigeria is no other than the Center of Excellence.
This is a growing guide and will be updated so do ensure to visit for updates. You can also leave a comment that you would like us to include.